Bitcoin: The Great Scaling DebateNovember 17, 2017
In October 2017, I gave this presentation to the UBC Bitcoin Club, BITCOIN_ THE GREAT SCALING DEBATE, about Bitcoin’s most critical development issue: the question of how to scale up the Bitcoin network without undermining its integrity. I outlined the following points:
- the Bitcoin network’s current state,
- the need for the network to scale,
- the divisions within the community on how to scale,
- an overview of the forks (Bitcoin Core’s segregated witness, Bitcoin Cash),
- the New York Agreement and SegWit2X,
A lot has happened since I gave this presentation, such as the suspension of the SegWit2X fork and the rising profile of Bitcoin Cash. So, this presentation analyzes how the community was perceiving the SegWit2X fork at the time.